Sunday, November 6, 2011

Western Distributed Soda’s

Hi Lance,
Thought I would send along a few pictures of some early soda’s that were distributed to the gold rush camps here in Sierra County.
 Almost all of the early soda distributers that were located on the west coast had their bottles manufactured on the east coast and shipped to their “depots” here in California.
The early gold rush era camps of Sierra County had a ferocious appetite for any type of manufactured goods that could be packed into the remote areas that were being mined and that included the popular brands of soda water bottled in Sacramento, Marysville and San Francisco.

Western distributed soda's recovered from Sierra County

Two Lancaster variants
Iron pontil base



Iron pontil base












Although I do not collect soda's "per say" I do collect gold rush era bottles that I have recovered from Sierra County.
I sure enjoy following your soda site Lance........
rs

2 comments:

  1. Nice pics, Rick. Mountain glass is always so super sparkly. Back in the privy diggin' mode yesterday and another poked out for today. Prob'ly nothin' worth reporting, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A hand-tooled Western (PCGW) crown from Redwood City recently went for over $100 on ebay. See here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/140641687770 I've only seen maybe one or two of these over the years with one example in my collection. I would post this separately but I haven't been added as a contributor. Jason

    ReplyDelete