Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Golden Gate

I know these are not rare sodas ( beers?), but I was wondering if anyone has actually pinned down the company which marketed this brand? This example has a faint and rather large slug plate around the embossing pattern. The vast majority of the Golden Gate's that I have seen are smooth based, but check out the pristine metallic pontil on this one! I do not know if this one was used more than once, and almost certainly never in the ground. I have seen one example in a deep lime green, but cannot recall if it was pontiled or not. This one looks 1850s to me. Does anyone know the ratio of smooth based to pontiled specimens out there?

 Thanks! Dale M.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dale,

    Wow, what a remarkably pristine GG soda with intact pontil. It's tough to find those with the pontil, and immensely tougher when they look like they were blown a few hours ago like your example. I can't add any knowledge on who produced them or exact dates, but the ponytailed ones sure would seem to be mid 1850's or so...

    I believe there are 2 true BLUE examples, but maybe only 1 of them is mint....I've seen 2 (one was on display at Reno 2006, the other was in an American Bottle auction around 3-4 years ago)I think Kenny Salazar owned the Reno display example it at one time or may still?

    ReplyDelete