Thursday, September 22, 2011

M.R.


Here are three of the known types of bottle that contained Martin Rancich's soda waters. Another bottle marked simply MR & D exists, but not in my simple grouping.
I dug the blue examples on the left and right, but "silver picked" the green one. I have dug the green misspelled variety but for some unknown reason sold them off over the decades. One pit on 6th St in Sactown held 33 mint regular MRs and 2 green ones. Shame all that is long covered up by progress. It was good while it lasted but disappeared much faster than we neophytes thought it would.

4 comments:

  1. Mike,

    Awesome write-up on the M.R. SAC sodas! Do the teal-green one's ever come with the mis-spelling: SACRIMENTO? How many of each variant would you guesstimate being known?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they all do, Lance. You can see in the rather dark photo that both the middle and right bottles are misspelled. Maybe I should take them outside tomorrow and take a better pic.

    A green MR&D was dug in El Dorado County last year and sold for big bucks. It appears that all of the bottles with that embossing came from the gold camps of El Dorado. I have not seen so much as a fragment of one in town. The blue one that Peck had came from the shore of Folsom Lake. It had apparently floated up from the town of Salmon Falls. I can remember numerous nice bottles being found along the reservoir's shoreline in the years after it was filled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike up in Buena Vista has some darn nice "top shelf" sodas I was lucky enough to see some months ago. Stuff I'd only ever heard about or seen pictures of...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, some of them came from me. GREAT bottles all.

    ReplyDelete